[rhn-users] RHN Configuration Management Usage

jack craig jackc at imageintegration.com
Tue Jan 17 00:38:16 UTC 2006

hi rh,

my initial subscription expired, but let me reply for during my
subscription.

Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> The Red Hat Network team is currently investigating possible future
> improvements to the configuration management web interface and we'd
> love your input.
>
> Some specific questions are of interest to us:
>
> - Do you primarily use the command-line configuration client or the
> web interface? Why?

i used/preferred the gui.

> - What procedures do you follow in order to keep the configuration
> files you manage in RHN updated and deployed? How often to you
> typically update configuration files? By which mechanisms do you
> update them (edit in the web ui, import newer version from a system,
> etc.)? How often do you deploy configuration files to systems?

i have a limited number of hosts to maintain and just updated when the
desktop icon
indicated an update was available.

> - How do you import files into the configuration management system? Do
> you upload or create files directly in global configuration channels?
> Or, do you prefer to use system sandboxes to import files directly
> from RHN-registered systems? Do you find the "Import Configuration
> Files by Modified Time" in the system sandbox a useful feature?

i did just one system.

> - Do you prefer to deploy all configuration files for a system/set of
> systems at once, or do you prefer to deploy configuration files
> one-at-a-time?

all at once.

> - How many / which roles in your organization are involved in keeping
> configuration files updated & deployed?

just users, sadly...

> In addition to the above, any feedback on the configuration management
> interface is welcome. Please note, however, that this is an informal
> survey and is not a forum for making formal feature requests. To file
> a formal feature/improvement request, you should contact your support
> representative.

i found the web update communication/update process very helpful.

thx,jackc...

--
Jack Craig          jackc at imageintegration.com          831-684-1375