[rhn-users] mail not working

Duane Christensen dc at sphosp.com
Wed Jan 11 23:23:00 UTC 2006

Okay, since I see no posts on this I have been attempting, in my newb
way, to resolve the problem.  So far I have moved the mbox file to tmp,
then created another blank file by same name, that is "mbox", in
/var/spool/mail/root.  Was that bad?  I have not been able to find any
help on this on the web.

>>> dc at sphosp.com 1/11/2006 12:42:08 PM >>>
Per Ben's request, here are the outputs: (the name of the server has
been changed to protect the innocent)

[root at zzz root]# ls -l /var/spool/mail/root
-rw-------    1 root     root     140189506 Jan 11 12:28
/var/spool/mail/root
[root at zzz root]# df -k /var/spool/mail/root
/dev/hda7              6048320   1090540   4650540  19% /var

Duane

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 09:26:46AM -0900, Duane Christensen wrote:
> Hi,
> For whatever reason, all of a sudden, when I log in as root and type
in
> 'mail', I get the following error:
>
> fseek: Invalid argument
> panic: temporary file seek
> Aborted
>
> Any ideas?

Please post the output of:

ben at debian$ ls -l /var/spool/mail/root
ben at debian$ df -k /var/spool/mail/root

I'm wondering if your mail file is corrupt or perhaps simply too
large.

You could try backing up the file then truncating it to a smaller size
(at the end of a message).

HTH,

Ben.

--