[rhn-users] RHN Configuration Management Usage

Dr. Guenter Schmidt gsc at bruker.de
Tue Jan 17 08:30:41 UTC 2006

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> The Red Hat Network team is currently investigating possible future
> improvements to the configuration management web interface and we'd love
> your input.
>
> Some specific questions are of interest to us:
>
> - Do you primarily use the command-line configuration client or the web
> interface? Why?
I use the commandline from a /etc/cron.daily/up2date job:
	/usr/sbin/up2date-nox --update --install
Updates are done during non office time!

> - What procedures do you follow in order to keep the configuration files
> you manage in RHN updated and deployed? How often to you typically
> update configuration files? By which mechanisms do you update them (edit
> in the web ui, import newer version from a system, etc.)? How often do
> you deploy configuration files to systems?

I check the logfiles if .rpmnew files are installed and compare them
manually with xxdiff

Dr. Günter Schmidt   |   E-Mail: gsc at bruker.de
NMR Software         |   Tel: +49 721 5161 443
Bruker BioSpin GmbH  |   Fax: +49 721 5161 480