[rhn-users] RHEL AS 4 Update 2 + Oracle Instant Client

Whitney, Morgan morgan.whitney at cudenver.edu
Fri Jan 20 20:01:32 UTC 2006

I recently rebuilt my system from scratch using RHEL AS 4 Update 2. It
is a very minimal installation, basically Apache 2 and some basic
services. I have a procedure created by another systems admin in my
organization explaining how to install the Oracle Instant Client to
connect to the community oracle servers. This worked flawlessly on my
Update 1 installation, but I can't seem to get things going with Update
2. Here are the instructions he provided:
Installing Oracle Software

Specifically, I downloaded these three components:
	Instant Client Package - Basic:
	Instant Client Package - SQL*Plus:
	Instant Client Package - SDK:
		Additional header files and an example makefile for

I stored these on the new machine in "/usr/local/src/oracle"

Then:
	cd /usr/local/src/oracle
	rpm -i oracle-instantclient-basic-10.2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
	rpm -i oracle-instantclient-devel-10.2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
	rpm -i oracle-instantclient-sqlplus-10.2.0.1-1.i386.rpm

Then you need to point to the Oracle library:

	export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/10.2.0.1/client/lib
	(Previously, "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" was not set.)

Set up the "tnsnames.ora" file:
	cd /usr/local
	mkdir oracle
	Create tnsnames.ora in this file, looking like this:
TRAN =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = host.domain.edu)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = instance.host.domain.edu)
    )
  )

	export TNS_ADMIN=/usr/local/oracle

The "sqlplus" program now works.

When I attempt to connect to the DB using sqlplus I get this error:

ORA-12162: TNS:net service name is incorrectly specified

I have spent more than a full day on Google trying to resolve this with
no luck. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

--
F. Morgan Whitney
UCDHSC Webmaster