[rhn-users] Kickstart Issue - Custom Bootdisk to Network Install

Warren_Crigger at navyfederal.org Warren_Crigger at navyfederal.org
Thu Jul 13 22:54:16 UTC 2006

Warren_Crigger at navyfederal.org wrote:
>> I do not have the luxury of using DHCP and the normal method of
>> kickstart, so I made a custom boot CD with the isolinux directory and
>> TRANS.TBL file on it from the actual RHEL4AS disk (that's it!).  I can
>> boot normally and from there give it testing kickstart boot options
>> which are:

>> gateway=<gateway> ksdevice=eth0
>>
>> It then loads the kernel, starts to grab files off the remote server
>> (see logs below), fires up anaconda, detects the video/mouse/etc, and
>> then says:
>>
>> "you are trying to install on a machine which isn't supported by this
>> release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES"
>>

> From a quick search I did... I could only find information relating to
>it being a missing kernel in your repository(there were a few others
>relating to a missing architecture which the Dell PE1650 should be i686).

>https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-May/msg08527.html

>The link points to older distro's but the reason for the error shouldn't
>be that different...  If this is the first box you've tried off the
>repository, might be worth another look to make sure it has all the
>files off all the cd's and permissions are correct for the webserver.

>Hope that helps,
>-Mitch

Thanks for the response + info.  I'll check for the 'missing kernel' - I
have several kernels in the repository, but none just simply named
"kernel.rpm (until now, I copied what kernel I normally use over to that
name as well)."  I'll test this out tomorrow as I'm headed home for the
day...

You'll notice in the apache logs from the box serving up the media that
there are 2 404's for a .img file.  It never complains about that during
the install - Only later after anaconda does its thing and it loads a few
more files(product, netstg2 images + hdlist and comps.xml).  I copied the
media per the documentation, until I found that RH was looking for more
than what was documented, then copied everything.  I can verify ownership
is correct, I did a recursive chown on em all earlier after loading up
more stuff off the CDs and actually the permissions are wide open
temporarily so my samba user can access them while testing (yea, yea, I
know =P).

Thanks!