[rhn-users] RedHat Cluster Suite issues

Stephen Gilbert linuxelf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 18:32:09 UTC 2006

We're in the process of building a small, 2-node cluster using RedHat
Enterprise 4 and RedHat Cluster Suite.  The servers we are using are 64bit
Quad CPU Dells.  Here is the issue we are having.

When I launch system-config-cluster, I can build an initial cluster
configuration.  However, no matter what I enter in for Node Name, whenever I
relaunch system-config-cluster, it says that I'm not part of a cluster, so I
can't get the management pane.  I've tried using my IP address, my hostname,
and my fully qualified hostname.  All have the same symptom.

I try to start the service for ccsd, and it hangs for a long time, then
succeeds.

 [root at kpcobs2sdsit init.d]# time ./ccsd start
Starting ccsd: [ OK ]

real 3m9.990s
user 0m36.147s
sys 2m32.848s

When I try to start cman (I'm going to be using dlm, not gulm), I just get a
FAILED message.  Nothing is written to /var/log/messages to explain why it
failed.

Now, here's another thing.  In order to get ccsd to start, I had to install
the RPM for gulm, because ccsd requires the magma-plugins package, which
requires gulm.  No problem, it's installed now.  Suddenly, whenI go into
system-config-cluster, it hangs for several minutes before telling me that
I'm not part of a cluster.  And now, I cannot configure a new cluster,
because all of the drop-down menus (such as the list of available nodes to
add to a failover domain) are empty.  I've got an entry in Cluster Nodes,
but it does not appear in the list under Failover Domains any more.  As a
test, I uninstalled the magma-plugins package, and the list now displays as
it should, but of course, ccsd will not start.

Any ideas on where I screwed up?

--
Stephen Gilbert
RHCE - 804006953620491