[rhn-users] Patching Red Hat servers

West, Brian WestB at LondonHydro.com
Mon Jul 17 19:00:26 UTC 2006

We have recently introduced Linux into our environment and so I'm
wondering how others are handling the process of patching systems ?

It seems that RedHat Satellite Server would do it but for less than 10
servers it's a very expensive solution and one that our company won't
buy. If I understand Proxy Server correctly that only avoids a server
making a direct connection to RHN but rather to some other system.

Isn't there a method to simply download all patches for a given
distribution like RHEL 4 for AMD64 on a quarterly basis and use that as
a standard patch set ?

We basically want to use a standard patch set in a test, User Acceptance
and finally Production environment.

Thanks,

Brian.