[rhn-users] Basic installation question

riches at ms.washington.edu riches at ms.washington.edu
Fri Mar 3 19:41:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Pete Masse wrote:

> Lets say I have a tar ball and I compile and install it the usual way
> (./configure, make, make install, etc) on my box.  If I decide I want to
> uninstall this program, how do I do it?

We sometimes find ourselves in this situation.  Our solution is based on
our standard operating procedure for software installations.  Part of that
SOP is to write a detailed log of the installation.  The log includes the
reason for the installation, where the software was obtained, the steps we
took to install the software (even if it is only to un-tar the tarball),
a list of the newly-installed files and, if appropriate, any changes to
system config files.

We can then back out a software installation, including system config
changes, based on this log.

Carl

Carl G. Riches
Software Engineer
Department of Mathematics
Box 354350			voice:     206-543-5082 or 206-616-3636
University of Washington	fax:       206-543-0397
Seattle, WA  98195-4350		internet:  riches at ms.washington.edu