[rhn-users] VNCserver

Calvin Webster cwebster at ec.rr.com
Tue May 23 18:10:02 UTC 2006

Could be that iptables is blocking it or SELINUX is causing it to fail.

What do you see when you do:

service vncserver status

If it shows that it's running, it's probably iptables (firewall)
blocking that port. You can add a firewall rule to allow connections to
port 5900. For example, to allow incoming connections to port 5900 you
might run this:

iptables -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp --dport 5900 -j ACCEPT

Or, to restrict connections to your local network:

iptables -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -p tcp --dport 5900 -j
ACCEPT

You can also use the Red Hat configuration GUI
"system-config-securitylevel" to setup your basic firewall and configure
SELINUX.

If "service vncserver status" shows it's not running SELINUX may have
issues. I doubt this because it only has targeted policies by default
and I don't believe that VNC is one of the targeted applications. To
check to see if SELINUX is causing problems check your system logs. A
quick go-nogo test is to temporarily disable it with "setenforce 0".

Use nmap to see what you're listening for on the outside of your
machine:

nmap your_hostname_or_ip

--Cal Webster