[rhn-users] UP2DATE

Florez, Nestor NFlorez at sdcwa.org
Wed Oct 4 15:29:27 UTC 2006

Hi people,

I just set up one of systems to run up2date overnite
and this morning when I look the file /var/log/rpmpkgs
I see in it the following packages:
  kernel-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL.i686.rpm
  kernel-2.4.21-27.0.4.EL.i686.rpm
  kernel-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm
  kernel-2.4.21-47.EL.i686.rpm
  kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-19.i386.rpm
  kernel-smp-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL.i686.rpm
  kernel-smp-2.4.21-27.0.4.EL.i686.rpm
  kernel-smp-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm
  kernel-smp-2.4.21-47.EL.i686.rpm
  kernel-utils-2.4-8.37.15.i386.rpm

Does this means that a new kernel was installed?
I guess not because 'uname -a' gives me:
Linux baseball 2.4.21-27.0.4.ELsmp #1 SMP

So what does 'up2date' do? Just downloads packages
to your machine and it is up to you to installed them?

I also see this from my logwatch:
  Creating rollback packages...
  Updating transaction list
  Modifying bootloader config to include the new kernel info
  Adding 2.4.21-47.EL to bootloader config
  Adding 2.4.21-47.EL to bootloader config
  Adding 2.4.21-47.ELsmp to bootloader config
  Installing the kernel via grub
  Running /sbin/grubby --default-kernel
  Creating rollback packages...

Just wondering what it all means.......