[rhn-users] Can't perform ftp installation of RHEL 3 AS

Mathew Snyder theillien at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 29 08:21:12 UTC 2006

I've Googled this and have come up empty no matter how I word it.

Here's my situation.  I'm trying to bone up on my linux skills so I've
got RHEL 3 installed under VMWare.  I have it configured to dish out all
the installation information via ftp, http and nfs.

I then created a second vm.  I can successfully perform an NFS
installation using this set up.  Now I'm trying the ftp method but keep
hitting a snag.

I have vsftpd running on the source vm and have successfully connected
as 'anonymous' from my workstation terminal and moved around the
directories.  However, when I attempt to run the installation I get the
following:

Unable to retrieve
ftp://192.168.61.130//var/www/pub/RedHat/base/netstg2.img.

I'm using the /var/www directory to simplify things for when I attempt
to install via http (which, incidentally, gives me the same error right
now).  Notice there are two slashes between the IP and the directory
path.  I don't know if this is causing the problem but I'm unable to
prevent it from showing up.

I have verified that the target vm has a network connection.  I set it
as a static address and pinged it successfully.  The source vm is set up
properly; as I said I am able to ftp from my workstation console.

Does anyone have any input that might point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Mathew