[rhn-users] Cloning machines

Sterling, James A james.a.sterling at boeing.com
Mon Apr 16 15:42:07 UTC 2007

I have done this using dd .. on none raid systems..

If both disks are the same size this will work.

The local changes will need to be done afterward include the name of the
system and the IP address if you are running fixed IP :-\ if you are
running DHCP then you should not need to worry about that.

I go into single user mode with the target/slave disk just connected but
not used by the OS on either the sata or ide bus

The command that I have used is

nice -19 dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdd bs=8192k &<ret>

You may need to change the /dev/hdc to match which device your drives
show up as ..

The nice sets the priority to a very high level so the process runs
faster.

The dd command uses as an input the /dev/hdc; the output is /dev/hdd and
the block size is set to 8192k

By putting the process into the background you can check the progress by
doing a ps -ef..

I have seen a complete duplication on a 150 Gig drive being done in 1
hour 40 minutes.. your speed will vary depending on the CPU clock speed
etc..

Hope this helps

Jim

	James A. Sterling III
	<Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers>
	Integrated Labs
	610-591-6450 Voice
	610-591-3456 Fax
	610-319-1518 Pager