[rhn-users] Network Installations via RHN Proxy Servers

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Sat Feb 10 17:31:35 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 10:12 -0600, inode0 wrote:
> On 2/10/07, MJang <mike at mommabears.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 09:08 -0600, inode0 wrote:
> > > While I know there is no official support for this, everyone must do
> > > it or arrange network installs from somewhere else. We maintain
> > > network install trees for RHEL3, RHEL4, FC5, and FC6 currently and I
> > > am getting tired of doing an installation and then needing to apply
> > > hundreds of updates immediately after a fresh install.
> > >
> > > It doesn't seem to me that it would be that difficult to update the
> > > installation trees as packages are updated so a fresh install will be
> > > current right after it finishes.
> >
> > It sounds like you're looking for a consolidated install repository,
> > with updates already included, so you can avoid an update cycle.
>
> Exactly.
>
> > Getting updated packages might be easier once RHEL5 is released, as
> > they're moving towards yum updates.
>
> I can hope, but even with yum there is a problem getting the
> aggregation of updates onto one machine that is the distribution point
> for all network installations.

Right, now that I've had some coffee, there's also the anaconda tools
that you need to update the installation programs and key files such as
comps.xml (or whatever it is Red Hat is moving towards on RHEL 5).

> > I'm not sure what you need beyond createrepo. The evolving Koan
> > (Kickstart over a network) tool looks like an interesting future
> > addition too.
>
> I'm not too concerned about our kickstart users now, they can automate
> the updates at the end and typically aren't sitting at the box waiting
> for the installation to complete. But to help our many newer RHEL
> users we provide a special installation ISO from which they can
> interactively select which version of the OS they want to install from
> a grub menu at boot time and the installation will proceed over the
> network eliminating the hassles associated with each user obtaining a
> pile of ISOs and correctly burning them and flipping them in and out
> during the install, etc. In these interactive cases, the need to apply
> hundreds of updates at the end of what they expect is the installation
> of a fresh OS is not only annoying to them but doesn't really convey
> the impression of a polished installation system.

Getting the anaconda tools working with an install repo infused with
updates would be trickier, almost like creating a custom anaconda spin
with each update cycle. Otherwise, things don't look "polished."

> It seems to me we should be able to do this better so after the
> anaconda install the user has an up to date installation of the OS.

I don't know if they have more insight on the Anaconda list. I know
there are lots of people there look to create their own custom spins,
with varying degrees of success.

Thanks,
Mike