[rhn-users] Set default global login to KDE

Hopson, Russell Russell_Hopson at brown.edu
Fri Feb 23 20:37:55 UTC 2007

Hi RHN Users,

I have 5 RHEL AS 3 workstations with active subscriptions, all up2date.
I am not versed in RHEL/Linux terminology and little of this knowledge
is required for the application for which I use these workstations.

That said, I am searching for a way to easily set the global login path
to KDE (required by my application) without having to select the session
for each user individually.  Recently, when I performed an update it
hijacked the default login for all 85+ users to gnome.  The problem with
this is that when you log using gnome you arrive a black screen with
various boxes popped up with no text (a problem I spent considerable
time trying to figure out long ago to no avail as I do not need to use
gnome).  The only solution is to ctrl/alt/bksp and come back out and
change the session to KDE and save it but it is very annoying as it has
happened on more than one occasion after an update.  I can find nothing
in the system settings that will allow me to do this.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer in this matter.

Russ