[rhn-users] RHN Account Policies

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 15:42:05 UTC 2007

Some time ago RHN suddenly and without warning altered its rules for
account names. Among other things the hyphen was no longer allowed in
an account name. This disrupted our policies and procedures for
managing our accounts. Lots of discussion followed, some at least at
RHN felt they made a mistake doing that and the policy was changed
back to allow hyphens although it took a very long time for this to
find its way back into the code base.

Yesterday it came to my attention while creating an account that RHN
no longer allows one email address to be associated with more than one
account on hosted. I am told this is allowed on satellites but that
isn't relevant to my situation. I have my business email address
associated with three RHN accounts and I have created multiple RHN
accounts in the past that share a single email address. So I know this
hasn't always been the policy or at least it hasn't been enforced in
the past.

So one question I have is why RHN chooses to enforce what seems to be
an arbitrary and useless new rule about email addresses? Another is
why there aren't announcements about such things made in public so
those of us who will have business operations disrupted will have a
chance to prepare ourselves before the disruption occurs?

We really have more than enough account management headaches already
without needing to create aliases or mailing lists to use for the
email address on new accounts.

John