[rhn-users] NIS or automounter problem

Hugo Simon hugo.simon at gmx.de
Wed Jan 24 06:52:37 UTC 2007

> If your users have home directories that are mounting from some other
> machine it could be that the home directories for your users cannot be
The normal users indeed have their homes mounted this way, but not the root
or other local users of the machine.

The problem was that our NIS provider changed the NIS servers IP without
changing the DNS entry, so NIS was not available. The normal users behaviour
is understandable for me. But why the root cannot logon either. Switching of
NIS in singleuser mode alows me to logon. But I would like the machine to be
accessible even if some NIS or other external things like DNS are not
available.

I think there is some problem with the search order for users, groups, etc.

The NFS mounting problem was on the NFS server. There seems somehow the
portmapper didn't allow new connections. Restarting server's portmapper
helps.

Thank you for your help

Thorsten