[rhn-users] Nessus require openssl-0.9.7d

JHZhang at mdanderson.org JHZhang at mdanderson.org
Wed Jun 6 13:31:07 UTC 2007

The interesting thing I found out is that openssl-0.9.7a-43.16 is actually
newer at patch level than openssl-0.9.7d. If the scanner agree with this RH
version level explained, I should be fine. Thank you for your help Hiren.

Jun H. Zhang
Biostatistics and Applied Mathematics
MD Anderson Cancer Center
713-792-2606

|---------+------------------------------------------>
|         |                                          |
|         |                                          |
|         |                               Hiren Patel|
|         |                    <patelhn at telkom.co.za>|
|         |                                  Sent by:|
|         |              rhn-users-bounces at redhat.com|
|         |                                          |
|         |                                          |
|         |                       06/04/2007 01:39 AM|
|         |                Please respond to patelhn;|
|         |            Please respond to "Discussions|
|         |                     about Red Hat Network|
|         |                         (rhn.redhat.com)"|
|         |                                          |
|         |                                          |
|---------+------------------------------------------>
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                       |
  |                                                                                                       |
  |                                                                                                       |
  |To:                                                                                                    |
  |      "Discussions about Red Hat Network (rhn.redhat.com)" <rhn-users at redhat.com>                      |
  |cc:                                                                                                    |
  |                                                                                                       |
  |                                                                                                       |
  |                                                                                                       |
  |                                                                                                       |
  |                                                                                                       |
  |Subject:                                                                                               |
  |      Re: [rhn-users] Nessus require openssl-0.9.7d                                                    |
  |                                                                                                       |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

run up2date -l and see if an update for openssl exists.
i hope that rpm you downloaded is from redhat.
if an update does not exist, ask redhat if they're going to be releasing
an update for it. going with redhat packages as far as possible avoids
maintenance. for something like openssl, i would not chop and change
packages other than what redhat provide.

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 11:09 -0500, JHZhang at mdanderson.org wrote:
> Our Enterprise level security agent will shut our host down if we don't
> upgrade the openssl version. The current version on this ES4 is 0.9.7a.
> When I do a
> up2date -i openssl
> it says that the package is already updated.
> I downloaded a newer version of rpm, tried to update by "rpm -Uhv
> openssl-0.9.7f-7.x86_64.rpm",
> a long list come up says that the libssl.so.4 is needed by various kinds
of
> applications. I'm hoping I don't have to download all those newer
versioned
> applications to manually update them together with openssl.
>
> Can somebody help me?
>
> Jun H. Zhang
> Biostatistics and Applied Mathematics
> MD Anderson Cancer Center