[rhn-users] Manage system configuration files through RHN

Mertens, Bram mertensb at mazdaeur.com
Wed Jun 20 15:55:42 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I'm investigating the possibility to manage our RH servers through RHN.
Currently we are running various versions with various levels of updates
installed and managing these has ebcome quite a challenge.

On top of that we are in the process of implementing a new corporate
policy on security which is posing further restrictions which I'd like
to be able to fullfill this way as well.

>From the documentation I read so far I gather that most of the things
I'd like to be able to do are possible with RHN but so far I haven't
found the documentation that shows exactly HOW to do so.  This makes it
difficult to determine whether or not what I believe is possible
actually is or not.  Also there are probably alternatives to consider as
well and I'm hoping to get some info on that from you.

1) Can we deploy RHN in an enviroment where not all clients that are to
connect to RHN are running the same version of RH or are not updated to
the same level?
The idea is to standardize most of these servers but there several
servers that must be kept at a lower version/update level.

2) Is user management handled at all by RHN?  Or do we need to look into
something like PAM authentication with an LDAP server?  Something like
Red Hat Directory server?

3) We'd also like to manage /etc/sudoers, /etc/hosts, etc. Through this
tool, it appears to us that we'd need the RHN Provisioning service for
this as the Management service doesn't appear to include this
possibility.  Is there any documentation available about this specific
option?  Specifically what is possible and what not?  Restarting
services like logrotate after modifying a configuration file, which
files can be served this way, etc.

Thanks in advance

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING  310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB