[rhn-users] Red Hat Network Satellite 4.2.0 Notice

Clifford Perry cperry at redhat.com
Fri Mar 2 03:30:38 UTC 2007

As I am sure you are aware, if you monitor the rhelv5-beta-list, and
thread
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-beta-list/2007-February/msg00106.html)
that a date is not freely available to give out.

The last public press release from Red Hat giving a rough date that I
know off is:
http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/2006/rhel5beta2.html
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, to be released in early 2007".

I felt that Rich's email was fairly clear, but to restate in another way
for you :o) ...

  If you plan to use/deploy Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 with any current
RHN Satellite or RHN Proxy systems you have deployed, then those systems
will need to be upgraded to at least RHN 4.2 Satellite or RHN 4.2 Proxy
prior to being able to use them with the yum based client in Enterprise
Linux 5 and code changes for rhn_register.

So, for example, if you have a 4.1 RHN Proxy which was pointing to RHN
(rhn.redhat.com, xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com) you could register a Enterprise
Linux 5 system through it, but when you tried to use yum to try and
download packages, it would fail. While for a 4.1 Satellite, both would
fail.

Regards,
Cliff.