[rhn-users] Red Hat Network Satellite 4.2.0 Notice

Robert Potts robert at pottsdata.com
Fri Mar 2 05:12:15 UTC 2007

I don't want to over traffic this list, but I do have a few thought I'd
like to share:

Redhat is a fantastic alternative to Microsoft, and seems to do a great
job competing with them on the levels of functionality, security and
reliability.  What you get for a _much_ lower price is, in most regards,
superior.  But it's tough to compete with a gigantic monopoly *and* try
to remain profitable.

I'm a BSD fanatic, admittedly, but BSD is *very* difficult to deal with
if you aren't a fairly competent sys admin.  It's free, but you *have*
to know what you're doing.  What Redhat seems to try to do (and usually
does fairly well) is walk a fine line between the Microsoft money grab
for marginal quality mentality and the philosophy of totally free,
totally secure and incredibly reliable but very time consuming to learn
and maintain BSD.

I'd say, considering the alternatives, Redhat is doing a good job for
those who can't/won't afford Microsoft and can't/won't put the time into
understanding/administering BSD.

So, have patience.  Though Redhat's updating system is not always
perfect, it's still a fantastic alternative that gives the world a
reasonably priced way to run a good system without too much headache.
And don't forget that you are supporting something which, if it weren't
there, would be sorely missed!

I'd say in the long run it's better to pay and support this company (and
help them try and improve) while understanding they must remain
minimally profitable to keep on existing, and to do so there are bound
to be some relatively minor shortcomings here and there.

In a nutshell, be patient and when you get frustrated don't forget to
consider the alternatives.  Pull your hair out dealing with Microsoft's
extraordinarily expensive unreliability and lack of security, or pull
your hair out trying to learn to be an expert sys admin with a flavor of
BSD! (I'll stick with BSD, personally, but I'd recommend RHEL to a *lot*
of people, and in fact will be doing just that here in the very near
future with a company I am consulting for).

warm regards,
Robert