[rhn-users] rh5 with xen and vmware "GSX" side by side?

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Sun Mar 18 23:08:06 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 16:43 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 3/18/07, Steven Jones <Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
> > Anybody tried this yet? Is such a configuration supported?
> >
> > regards
> >

> Supported by whom? I do not think it is supported by either Red Hat or
> Vmware.. and it would probably be very hard to maintain as they use
> orthoganal models for virtualization (i think)

I had just tried a similar bit on FC6 (VMWare Server and Xen), and ran
into all sorts of problems. There's some chatter online about how that's
a no-no, didn't study the whys. But I think Stephen's on the right
track, esp w/r/t paravirtualization, and the special kernel code
required for Xen.

As RHEL 5 is based in large part on FC6, I suspect the result would be
similar.

Thanks,
Mike