[rhn-users] Problems with SMB share

Edoardo Causarano edoardo.causarano at laitspa.it
Fri May 18 15:53:14 UTC 2007

Hello list,

I'm having a rather disruptive problem with a couple servers we have.
One, a Microsoft Windows 2003 Server exporting SMB shares and two other
RHEL AS4.4 mounting these shares and accessing them from JBoss AS.
When the SMB session is reset for various reasons (Windows Server
reboot, network glitch, whatever) the mountpoint freezes until someone
kills the userspace mount process, and tries to umount the mountpoint.
After some time the last step will succeed and the path will again be
available for manual remount.
In the meantime, the Apache frontends running on the same RHEL AS4.4
that handle the mod_jk connections with the JBoss servers will exhaust
all the 120 child process configured and DOS the website; the use
average will skyrocket to about 130 but the cpu remains +90% idle and
remote shell normally responsive...
(that is, the 120 httpd block waiting for the java process, blocked on
the smb_io)

Any way I can solve, at least avoid the DOS, this issue?

TIA,