[rhn-users] Red Hat Network Proxy 4.2.0 Notice

Clifford Perry cperry at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 14:35:24 UTC 2007

Carl Provencher wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I plan our migration from Red Hat Network Proxy 4.1 to 4.2. I read the
> knowledge base article  posted by Clifford Perry (thank you) in
> February. The process seems to be simple. But I need precisions. I move
> the RHN proxy service into a new server with a different name.
>

> I want to do tests, to evaluate the impact for our clients. One reason
> is because “serverURL” will be changed within the migration process.
>

> My question is, I want to be sure if I can do:
>
> •             unsubscribe my RHN 4.1 server from Red Hat Network Proxy
> (v4.1 for AS v4 x86) channel
>
> •             subscribe my test RHN 4.2 server to Red Hat Network Proxy
> (v4.2 for AS v4 x86) channel
>
> •             do my test: change RHN client configuration for using new
> RHN 4.2 server.
>
> •             unsubscribe my test RHN 4.2 server from Red Hat Network
> Proxy (v4.2 for AS v4 x86) channel
>
> •             subscribe my RHN 4.1 server to Red Hat Network Proxy (v4.1
> for AS v4 x86) channel

Yes - this should be possible. You have I assume a single RHN Proxy
subscription, which allows you to be subscribed to any Proxy channel of
your choice. Once the 4.1 Proxy becomes inactive, you should be able to
use the 'rhn-proxy-activate' command on your last step to re-activate
it, without the need to go through the webui activate/install/configure
screens for a RHN Proxy.

Cliff