[rhn-users] System groups, configuration channels & macros

Ross.McKerchar at sophos.com Ross.McKerchar at sophos.com
Mon Oct 22 10:34:09 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm just trying to get to grips with my companies RHN satellite setup.
I've been trying to use if for managing kickstart's and configuration
files. However I'm struggling - apologies if this info is all in the
manual: I've been reading it a lot but it hasn't helped.

If anyone could help me out with the following questions, I'd be grateful.

1. Can I manage system configurations based on groups? I'd like to be able
to subscribe a group to a configuration channel and have all systems in
that group receive the necessary files. I only seem able to do it per host
- indeed although you can create groups I cant see how to use those groups
anywhere! Ideally I'd like these group to be defined on our ldap server
which the RHN server also uses?

2. Can I define custom macros for my configuration files? I know you can
define fields for systems and include them but I would like to write a
script that can get values from a configuration management database, for
instance.

3. Can I setup all new machines to automatically join a "base"
configuration channel or do I have to script this using rhncg-client?

4. Can I use includes in my kickstarts - we currently have a dozen
kickstarts but the differences between them are generally only a few lines
(SCSI/SATA/IDE, for instance). Consequently changing them is very hard. I
have tried finding the kickstart file's on my server to shortcut the
restrictive UI but couldn't - I presume they're tucked away in a database?

I'm using RHNS 5.01.

thanks,

-ross

--
Ross McKerchar
Systems Analyst, Sophos

Tel: 01235 559933
Web: http://www.sophos.com
Sophos - security and control

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon,
OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.

Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.