[rhn-users] need to remove screen saver

Enils ebashi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 03:09:00 UTC 2008

Paula,

You have a few choices:
1. You can uninstall the screensaver program altogether. If you're
running Gnome as your desktop manager, chances are you're using
gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver. Do a "apropos screensaver" or rpm
-qa | grep screensaver to find out which one you're running.
2. Unlike Windows, Linux has multiple X-displays. If a user has logged
on and the screensaver is on, simply hit "Ctrl-alt-F1" or
"Ctrl-alt-F2" or any other up to F6. The main desktop by default runs
on F7. Once you've done that, logon as another user and issue this
command: "startx -- :8" . This will open another X without disrupting
the first user's session. It does not have to be 8, you can also use
9, 10 and so on. You can switch between X-sessions using
Ctrl-Alt-F<display number>.

Finally, I don't know of any screensavers that would let you use a
"global password". Plus you would not want to do that anyway!

Regards,

Enils