[rhn-users] need to remove screen saver

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Feb 12 17:42:27 UTC 2008

On Saturday 02 February 2008 05:09:00 Enils wrote:
> Paula,
>
> You have a few choices:
> 1. You can uninstall the screensaver program altogether. If you're
> running Gnome as your desktop manager, chances are you're using
> gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver. Do a "apropos screensaver" or rpm
> -qa | grep screensaver to find out which one you're running.
> 2. Unlike Windows, Linux has multiple X-displays.

Windows XP, when not joined to a domain, does allow multiple simultaneous
users.

> If a user has logged
> on and the screensaver is on, simply hit "Ctrl-alt-F1" or
> "Ctrl-alt-F2" or any other up to F6. The main desktop by default runs
> on F7. Once you've done that, logon as another user and issue this
> command: "startx -- :8" . This will open another X without disrupting
> the first user's session. It does not have to be 8, you can also use
> 9, 10 and so on. You can switch between X-sessions using
> Ctrl-Alt-F<display number>.

GNOME doesn't have a "Switch user" menu entry like KDE ?

> Finally, I don't know of any screensavers that would let you use a
> "global password". Plus you would not want to do that anyway!

But, the all support pam, and pam can be convinced to always succeed ...

You could also find the configuration which disables the screensaver, add it
to the home directory template (/etc/skel), enable it via a login script
(e.g. /etc/X11/xinit.d/) or add the configuration entry to all your user
accounts.

Regards,
Buchan