[rhn-users] Transitioning to RHEL5 from RHEL4

Calvin Webster cwebster at ec.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 16:52:25 UTC 2008

I am also looking at such a transition for our RHEL 4 AS servers.
However, ours no longer have access to an Internet connection.

1. I'm sure it will be a bit more difficult. I'm just wondering if it is
possible to "upgrade" (using the install DVD) without having to
completely re-install everything.

2. Another question that occurs to me is how RHN will treat the upgrade
in terms of subscription entitlements. Will the new RHEL 5 "Advanced
Platform" (AP) servers be allowed to create unlimited Virtual Machine
guests? The Red Hat web site seems to suggest that it will suffer the
same limit (only 4 instances) as the much cheaper "Desktop" product.
This hardly seems appropriate!

Scott:

If you click the main "Channels" link on the top, red RHN bar, you'll
see the "Full Software Channel List" page. Just above your current base
channel list you should see a drop-down list entitled "Filter by Product
Channel". If you expand that list you should see the other channels to
which you are entitled. You can then select an optional version and/or
architecture. This should give you the full list of software to which
you are entitled.

Cal Webster