[rhn-users] bare metal provisioning

Michael Barrett mike4barrett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 19:59:33 UTC 2008

------------------------------

   - *From*: Máirín Duffy <duffy redhat com>
   - *To*: "Discussions about Red Hat Network (rhn.redhat.com)"
   <rhn-users redhat com>
   - *Subject*: Re: [rhn-users] bare metal provisioning
   - *Date*: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:46:12 -0400

------------------------------

>Hi Michael,

Michael Barrett wrote:

While using RHN I don't see in the tool where I can control the
service processors
of my hardware in order to achieve bare metal provisioning. Is that
something I need to do outside of the tool after I setup my kickstart
template within the tool?

>You'll either need to set up a pxe server to work with the Satellite server
or create and use custom boot discs [2] to achieve >baremetal provisioning.
Please see the following section of our reference guide for more information
about this:

>http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/satellite/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite-5.0.0/html/Reference_Guide/s2-sm-system-kickstart.html
<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/satellite/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite-5.0.0/html/Reference_Guide/s2-sm-system-kickstart.html>

>~m
>

>[1]
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/satellite/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite-5.0.0/html/Reference_Guide/s4-system-ks-PXE.html
[2]
>http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/satellite/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite-5.0.0/html/Reference_Guide/s4-system-ks-ISO.html<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/satellite/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite-5.0.0/html/Reference_Guide/s4-system-ks-ISO.html>

All of that just talks about PXE boot and kickstart.  To say something does
bare metal provisioning implies that the software can remotely trigger a
boot on the hardware without an OS installed with the intent to install an
operating system.  That it has service processor knowledge.  (ie) it logs
into the service process and issues the correct boot command when the user
in the application (RHN satellite) selects that target (the service
processor) and issues an OS provisioning job.

Does RHN Satellite do any of that?  Or does it expect me to remotely trigger
the PXE boot via the service processor outside of it?