[rhn-users] a specific rpm --query mode.

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 15:54:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Christopher L. Barnard
<cbarnard at rush.edu> wrote:
> I think an RPM is not used, so I want to delete it.  But before I do I
> want to find out if any other RPMs that are installed rely upon it.  I
> can use rpm --query --requires RPMNAME to find out what other RPMs must
> be installed for RPMNAME to work.  But what I am looking for is a way to
> find out if other RPMs rely on RPMNAME being there.  How would I do
> this?  I do not see the option in the rpm man page or a google search...

Well the real ugly way is rpm -e and see what complains :). There is the

rpm -q --whatrequires <CAPABILITY> which should help

[smooge at bakeneko Desktop]$ rpm -q --whatrequires passwd
usermode-1.99-3.x86_64
[smooge at bakeneko Desktop]$ rpm -q --whatprovides passwd
passwd-0.76-2.fc11.x86_64

Hope this helps.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux