[rhn-users] RHN Hosted web session expires too quickly

Steve Huff shuff at hmdc.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 11 15:39:14 UTC 2010

On 1/11/10 8:31 AM, daryl herzmann wrote:

> I was hoping the RHN outage this past weekend would fix this, but alas,
> it hasn't. One wonders where I can get an update on this issue, as the
> bugzilla ticket is silent and my CRM ticket has no information updates.
> So I try email again, hehe. :)

one way you might work around this issue is to use the RHN API
(https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/apidoc/index.jsp) to get information out of
RHN instead of using the horrible web interface.  the API is clunky, but
reasonably straightforward, and if there are certain queries you run on
a regular basis, it shouldn't be too hard to automate the process of
running them.

in my spare time i've been working on a Perl module that encapsulates
access to the RHN API.  right now you have to get it from Subversion (i
haven't generated the first release yet), but you might find it useful:

http://rhn-api.sourceforge.net/

right now most of the work that remains to be done is pretty mechanical
coding; if there are API calls that i haven't yet implemented that you
need, you're welcome to submit patches, or i'll give you commit access.

please let me know if you do end up trying to use the API or my Perl
module; i'd be happy to explain anything that isn't clear.

-steve

Steve Huff - Systems Administrator, HMDC - shuff at hmdc.harvard.edu