[rhn-users] Valid Entitlement; RHN Connections Fail/Timeout

Tim Evans tkevans at tkevans.com
Fri Jan 29 15:31:53 UTC 2010

On 01/20/10 20:08, Tim Evans wrote:
> I have an RHEL 5.4 system that's got a valid RHN entitlement, but which
> can't seem to connect with RHN:
>
> [root at www ~]# yum list updates
> Loaded plugins: rhnplugin
> There was an error communicating with RHN.
> RHN support will be disabled.
> Error communicating with server. The message was:
> timed out
>
> [takes about five minutes to time out]
>
> Our other systems don't have any trouble connecting, just this one. It
> is our firewall, so it's the only system on the "outside" network;
> internal connections come via NAT through the firewall. I've recycled
> both rhnsd and yum-updatesd, w/o results.

As I mentioned, this is a firewall machine.  Disabling iptables
temporarily resolves this issue.  (Can't say why this is different than
it was 2 weeks ago, with no firewall changes in the interim, when
everything was working fine.)

--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc.	|   5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting	|   Owings Mills, MD 21117
http://www.come-here.com/News/	|   tkevans at tkevans.com