[rhn-users] How to create startup script which start and stop certain services automatically.

Bill Watson bill at magicdigits.com
Tue Jun 29 15:18:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 10:44 +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 28Jun2010 10:16, Christopher L. Barnard <cbarnard at rush.edu> wrote:
> | On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 15:08 +0530, Pravin Uttam Kharat wrote:
> | > I have RHEL 5 I installed Bitnami Joomla on it.I want to configure a
> | > startup script which run that script when RHEL 5 Machine start and
> | > automatically shut down machine on mentioned time. Please suggest any
> | > tool for this......
> |
> | [ Excellent description of the SnnFOO script scheme... ]
> | You can put it all in one script, and that is much easier for other
> | individuals to understand what you are doing.  For 'start', the script
> | is called with the command line parameter of "start".   Likewise 'stop'
> | is called with the command line parameter of "stop".  So just switch on
> | the command line parameter and you can put the script in /etc/init.d
> | with a symlink to /etc/rc2.d/S****** and to /etc/rc0.d/K******
>
> And for your second requirement, have the "start" script use the "at"
> command to schedule a run of the "stop" script at a suitable time.

Only if you want the script to be alive for a finite time.  If the need
is for the app to start gracefully on system startup and stop gracefully
on system shutdown, then 'at' should definitely not be used.  If it
should run for oh, say, the first 17 hours after powerup, then yes the
at command should be used.

--
Christopher L. Barnard
Comment your code as though the maintainer will be a homicidal maniac

************** I had to leave this tag line - it's too good!
The source stated to start with the machine start and end at "on mentioned
time". If the mentioned time is other than the machine shut down time, then
a crontab entry calling the "K50scriptname stop" would do well.

Also it seems that the "RedHat" way to do rc#.d these days is to place the
file without Snn or Knn into /etc/init.d with the following lines at the
top:
#!/bin/bash
#
# chkconfig: - 91 35

The 91 is the starting sequence within rc2.d (S91) and the 35 is the
stopping sequence in rc0.d (K35) and the 91 and 35 are adjustable to your
needs as long as they are 2 digits each.

Then
chkconfig --add scriptname
chkconfig scriptname on

^^^^ The above is from memory and to be taken with a grain of salt, lemon,
and tequila. Hope this helps.
Bill Watson
bill at magicdigits.com