[rhn-users] Characters not Displayed

Mc Kiernan Daniel Kian Mc_Kiernan at Oeconomist.com
Wed Nov 17 14:26:51 UTC 2010

Prior to my migrating from RHEL 5.5 to 6.0, when I used characters
U+223b, U+227b, U+227f, U+2280 in formulae coded within OpenOffice
Math (the formula editor) of OO 3.2.1, the document displayed these
when viewed in OpenOffice, and an exported PDF displayed these when
viewed with Acrobat readers.

Now, when the very same version of OpenOffice is used in RHEL 6.0, the
character becomes invisible both in .ODTs and in .PDFs.

My suspicion is that the system UI used to make substitutions from
another font file when a character were not in a specified font file,
but is now not doing this.  Can someone either disabuse me of this
suspicion, or tell me how to re-establish the substitutions?