[rhn-users] SSL Certificate for rhn.redhat.com - please be aware that older up2date/rhn clients need updating

Cliff Perry cperry at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 10:04:30 UTC 2013

We have more official communications going out, but I know some people
read this list, vs Red Hat mailings.

The details are outlined very well within the following kbase:

https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/353033

In short, the current SSL Certificate on rhn.redhat.com, and the
associated CA Cert provided within RHEL for communication to RHN, will
expire in August 2013. We have provided updated CA Cert within RHEL, via
errata, for quite some time, and since GA for RHEL 6.

If you have older (than listed Errata versions) of up2date or
rhn-client-tools packages installed on RHEL 3, 4 or 5 systems, you will
want to take action, or risk hitting SSL errors when trying to
communicate with RHN.

For customers of RHN, this can impact you.

Those using RHEL 6 are not impacted.

Those using subscription-manager are not impacted.

For customers using Satellite:
  - the client systems registered to Satellite are not impacted
  - the connected Satellites, installed on RHEL 5, syncing content
directly from RHN (satellite.rhn.redhat.com), this can impact you - as
the CA Cert provided by the rhn-client-tools is also used by
satellite-sync.
  - the connected Satellites, installed on RHEL 6 are not impacted.
  - any disconnected Satellites are not impacted.

I recommend, if you have concerns or questions, please reference the
kbase article linked and open a support ticket if needed.

https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/353033

For an idea of time lines, the RHEL 5 fix was released 3 years ago:
RHBA-2010:0270 - 2010-03-30 (March 30th 2010)

Regards,
Cliff