[rhos-list] Optimizing IT: Red Hat Virtual Event

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 23:47:52 UTC 2012

On 05/12/12 17:24 -0500, Daniel Dumitriu wrote:
>Hi,... everyone!
>
>Well, all this sounds very interesting...
>
>Because I am, actually, using Oz to create my images for Nova... Of
>course, that doesn't say much because it's, still, a manual process with
>no integration.
>
>Perry, this is how things may happen, eventually - and I could be wrong
>(I'm known to do that, a lot):
>
>- somebody (Oz ?) creates images for VMs AND kickstarts for physicals;
>- somebody (Foreman ?) provisions physicals;
>- somebody (Foreman ? Heat ?) manages server profiles (templates ?);
>- somebody (Nova with Glance) provisions VMs;
>- somebody (Heat?) manages/orchestrates the aggregation of
>  profiles (templates) and pushes them as schedules to Nova or
>  Foreman...
>
>Except... there's a lot of overlapping, which it is understandable,
>given the origins of each project.

Yea, there is a heap of overlap. All are trying to focus on something
a bit different.
- I believe Foreman is focused on baremetal (I am not up-to-date on the project tho')
- ImageFactory and Aeolus is focused on being cloud neutral
- Heat is focused on tight integration with OpenStack.

I have a bias (Heat developer:)
- With heat you _could_ (if you used bleading edge OpenStack) use OpenStack baremetal
   feature to deploy directly to baremetal (not vm's). (Some of our users are trying
   to get this to work).
- You definitely can use Puppet with CloudFormation templates:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cloudformation-templates-us-east-1/puppet-master-configuration.template
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cloudformation-templates-us-east-1/wordpress-via-puppet-client.template
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cloudformation-templates-us-east-1/wordpress-via-puppet-client-building-block.template

- One thing to add to this is Heat will do more than just provision
   the vm. You can setup a true Virtual application with networking,
   objectstore, volume, loadbalancer, autoscaling (soon DNSaas) resources.
   Current resources:
   https://github.com/openstack/heat/tree/master/heat/engine/resources

-Angus