Re: [rhos-list] Hooks/plugins in Openstack NOVA

On 11/20/2012 11:23 PM, Kumar Vaibhav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to add execute some custom scripts, which make entries in my
> existing
> authentication/authorisation system, at the start of boot of the VM
> instance.
>
> This script can be run on cloud nova manager(preferred) or nova compute
> node.
>
> How to add this script in the openstack-nova?
> Is there any provision of creating/defining hooks in NOVA?

Nova does not have any hook support currently.  However, it does have an
asynchronous notifications system that could be used for this.  Here is
a wiki page that shows the data that comes in the notifications for
creating and deleting an instance:

http://wiki.openstack.org/SystemUsageData#compute.instance.create.start.2BAC8.end:

To enable notifications in Folsom, you set the notification_driver in
the [DEFAULT] section of nova.conf.

    notification_driver=nova.openstack.common.notifier.rabbit_notifier

There is also a log file based notifier, but I suspect the messaging
based notifier better suits your needs.  Also, while the notifier is
named "rabbit_notifier", it actually applies to whatever is configured
as the "rpc_backend".  So, it works with Qpid, as well.

--
Russell Bryant