[rhos-list] Fwd: Re: Redhat OpenStack Swift

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Fri Oct 19 23:44:29 UTC 2012

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:12:21 +0200
Alan Pevec <apevec at redhat.com> wrote:

> > Is it correct to assume that a single server instance of Swift is
> > only for  upstream development and not something I should be trying
> > to do with RedHat OpenStack?
>
> You can still try AIO with RHOS packages, but it's definitely not
> recommended for production.

Quite right. I would also add that SAIO takes work to extend later,
although usually it has the correct replication numbers. It's easier
to start with multinode in VMs and move them to hardware. Port numbers
don't need to change, partitions are mounted where they should, you
can have mount checks enabled, and rsync gets excercised. So start
with 5 VMs (1 proxy, 4 nodes).

SAIO is mostly useful for testing by "downstream" developers, like
those writing webapps with Swift backend.

-- Pete