[rhos-list] how to install more compute nodes

Jacob Liberman jliberma at redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 14:51:10 UTC 2013

On 04/11/2013 09:23 AM, Perry Myers wrote:
> On 04/11/2013 09:59 AM, Vogel Nicolas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I just finished to install a controller node with the latest official
>> RedHat doc (but I’m working with CentOS 6.3 and EPEL packages).
>>
>> I’m using nova-network with FlatDHCP and not quantum in this test.
>>
>> Now I wan’t to extend my cloud with more compute nodes but i’m not
>> really sure about the different services who must be installed on each
>> compute node.
>>
>> In a first time, I wan’t to centralize all my services on the
>> controller, the computes nodes must give me just more CPU and more disk
>> space. So I think that basically I just need to install nova-compute,
>> nova-api and cinder on the compute nodes is that right?
> nova-compute and cinder, but I do not think you need additional nova-api
> on the add'l compute nodes

nova-compute, nova-network (if you want multi_host/HA networking) and
nova-metadata-api if you are passing any customizations to the instances
during boot

you can run cinder-volumes on all nodes but there are some issues.
better to use a centralized cinder server or cinder backed by a
distributed file system.

you specify the other service endpoints in the compute node's nova.conf.

>> How do I configure this services on the compute node so they know that
>> Keystone, Glance, etc.. are on the controller?
> Jacob, do you have a writeup around this area?  Taking an existing RHOS
> install and adding compute nodes to it?

yes, it will be publicly available in the next few weeks.

i am happy to answer specific questions before the document is available.

> Perry
>
>> If someone has nova.conf and keystone.conf example from it would be very
>> helpful.

Here is a nova.conf from a compute node.

The controller IP (glance, keystone, cinder, nova-scheduler) is 10.16.37.100
The compute node IP (nova-compute,nova-network) is 10.16.137.102

the metadata_hostvalue may differ depending on what you are running where

[DEFAULT]
verbose=false
connection_type=libvirt
sql_connection=mysql://nova:9f63b4ec6b074b1c@10.16.137.100/nova
state_path=/var/lib/nova
lock_path=/var/lib/nova/tmp
glance_api_servers=10.16.137.100:9292
metadata_host=10.16.137.100
network_manager=nova.network.manager.FlatDHCPManager
rootwrap_config=/etc/nova/rootwrap.conf
service_down_time=60
volume_api_class=nova.volume.cinder.API
auth_strategy=keystone
compute_driver=libvirt.LibvirtDriver
public_interface=eth0
dhcpbridge=/usr/bin/nova-dhcpbridge
flat_network_bridge=br100
flat_injected=false
flat_interface=eth1
floating_range=10.16.143.108/30
fixed_range=172.16.2.0/24
network_host=10.16.137.102
force_dhcp_release=true
dhcp_domain=novalocal
logdir=/var/log/nova
rpc_backend=nova.openstack.common.rpc.impl_qpid
rabbit_host=localhost
qpid_hostname=10.16.137.100
libvirt_type=kvm
libvirt_inject_partition=-1
novncproxy_base_url=http://10.16.137.100:6080/vnc_auto.html
vncserver_listen=10.16.137.102
vncserver_proxyclient_address=10.16.137.102
vnc_enabled=true
image_service=nova.image.glance.GlanceImageService
multi_host = True
[trusted_computing]
[keystone_authtoken]

thanks, jacob