[rhos-list] Running openshift on openstack

Matt Hicks mhicks at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 22:44:50 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 05:28 PM, Steven Dake wrote:
> On 01/16/2013 01:51 PM, Matt Hicks wrote:

>>> Matt, does your team have any docs around this?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Perry
>> Looping in Krishna and Bill.  Do you guys have anything OpenStack
>> focused out there?
>>
>> -Matt
>>
> Matt,
>
> We have done a bit of work on making heat launch OpenShift on
> OpenStack.  See: http://wiki.openstack.org/Heat/Running-openshift
>
> This can only improve with time, including autoscaling support and
> integration with Moniker (DNS as a service) as well as helping us
> understand networking points outlined elsewhere.
>
> Unfortunately we have difficulty keeping the integration working
> consistently because OpenShift is moving so quickly - especially the
> tooling around building RPMs.  We have gone through many different
> approaches to get OpenShift working on OpenStack (outlined at the wiki
> page above).  What would help the Heat team tremendously is a package
> repo for OpenShift built against the F18 toolchain which are tested,
> stable, and only change after having gone through some rudimentary QE
> (vs a per-commit rpm repo which is less then ideal). This would allow
> us to always deploy a known working OpenShift against a known working
> Fedora baseline.  I expect anyone else doing this work will have a
> similar requirement if they have spent similar engineering hours on
> this problem as the heat team has.  We have tried the repo packages in
> the past and they were built on two different Fedora versions,
> requiring two different major versions of ruby.    I understand the
> problems with putting OpenShift in Fedora (toolchain changes right
> before deadlines), and am hopeful we won't have to wait until F19 to
> make this integration point a reality.
>
> Regards
> -steve

We will absolutely get this for you.  We're working with Seth Vidal on
the coprs work to see if we can establish a better process of building
against Fedora.  Krishna has also been testing against F18 and we've got
a couple of systemd bugs to run down.  I'll sync up with the guys here
and see if we can get you guys some dates. OpenShift and OpenStack
integration is a critical priority for us next year and we really,
really appreciate the work you guys have done to date.  If you are
interested, I also have some Amazon CloudFormations templates that I
used to deploy a multi-tier OpenShift Enterprise at Amazon re:Invent.
Testing them out with Heat has been on my todo list forever now but I
haven't been able to get to it.  I'm happy to share them if you think it
might help with anything.

-Matt