[rhos-list] Running openshift on openstack

Matt Hicks mhicks at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 13:38:38 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 05:53 PM, Steven Dake wrote:
> On 01/16/2013 03:44 PM, Matt Hicks wrote:

>>> Matt,
>>>
>>> We have done a bit of work on making heat launch OpenShift on
>>> OpenStack.  See: http://wiki.openstack.org/Heat/Running-openshift
>>>
>>> This can only improve with time, including autoscaling support and
>>> integration with Moniker (DNS as a service) as well as helping us
>>> understand networking points outlined elsewhere.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately we have difficulty keeping the integration working
>>> consistently because OpenShift is moving so quickly - especially the
>>> tooling around building RPMs.  We have gone through many different
>>> approaches to get OpenShift working on OpenStack (outlined at the
>>> wiki page above).  What would help the Heat team tremendously is a
>>> package repo for OpenShift built against the F18 toolchain which are
>>> tested, stable, and only change after having gone through some
>>> rudimentary QE (vs a per-commit rpm repo which is less then ideal).
>>> This would allow us to always deploy a known working OpenShift
>>> against a known working Fedora baseline.  I expect anyone else doing
>>> this work will have a similar requirement if they have spent similar
>>> engineering hours on this problem as the heat team has.  We have
>>> tried the repo packages in the past and they were built on two
>>> different Fedora versions, requiring two different major versions of
>>> ruby.    I understand the problems with putting OpenShift in Fedora
>>> (toolchain changes right before deadlines), and am hopeful we won't
>>> have to wait until F19 to make this integration point a reality.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> -steve

>> We will absolutely get this for you.  We're working with Seth Vidal
>> on the coprs work to see if we can establish a better process of
>> building against Fedora.  Krishna has also been testing against F18
>> and we've got a couple of systemd bugs to run down. I'll sync up with
>> the guys here and see if we can get you guys some dates. OpenShift
>> and OpenStack integration is a critical priority for us next year and
>> we really, really appreciate the work you guys have done to date.  If
>> you are interested, I also have some Amazon CloudFormations templates
>> that I used to deploy a multi-tier OpenShift Enterprise at Amazon
>> re:Invent.  Testing them out with Heat has been on my todo list
>> forever now but I haven't been able to get to it.  I'm happy to share
>> them if you think it might help with anything.
>>

> Great News!
>
> We would be happy to have a look at your templates to help identify
> gaps in our implementation.  We are in our final push for grizzly
> milestone 3 (which finishes Feb 21) so we may be a bit sporadic in
> responding until then.  Steven Hardy (added to cc) has been doing most
> of the OpenShift bringup so please CC him on templates you have
> available.
>
> Regards
> -steve
Steven and anyone else who is interested, could you send me your GitHub
id's so I can add you to the repository?  Right now the script is in a
private repository because it's with all the other OpenShift Enterprise
installation components but there is nothing sensitive about the
CloudFormations templates and we can certainly pull it out.  I just
figured the best way to look at it initially would be with the kickstart
scripts and some of the docs all together and if you think it's helpful
we can carve them out and open source them in whatever way works best.