[rhos-list] Issues with the OVS and RDO kernel

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Mon Jul 8 17:24:10 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 08:41 AM, Paul Robert Marino wrote:
> gre tunnels are not currently supported yet in RHEL not even in the
> openstack kernel variant last I heard.

That is correct in part.

The netns enabled kernel we provide in RDO for RHEL does have kernel
support for gre and vxlan tunnels.

However, openvswitch does not yet support using the in-tree gre/vxlan
tunnel mechanism.  It only supports using the out-of-tree tunnels
provided in the openvswitch kmod from upstream openvswitch.org git repo.

What needs to happen is openvswitch needs to change to understand how to
manipulate the in-tree tunnels.  Until that happens, we can't use
gre/vxlan tunnels via openvswitch and therefore neutron/quantum

At least this is my understanding of things.  I've added some neutron
and ovs devs to comment

Perry