[rhos-list] Problems with metadata.

Minton, Rich rich.minton at lmco.com
Tue Mar 5 20:12:55 UTC 2013

I'm having some problems with my instances accessing metadata... they don't.  The instances are not able to contact dhcp to get their IP and as a result I cannot pull in the metadata for ssh keys, hostname, etc.  I can ping the metadata IP, 169.254.169.254 from my host but when I try to test the connection using curl I get a 404 error. I'm also not sure if iptables is being setup properly. I believe I have nova.conf configured properly. I'm using nova-metadata-api on each of my compute nodes and have nova.conf configured with the hosts IP for the metadata server and I do not have "metadata" in the list of enabled apis. I also tried running nova-metadata-api from the command line in debug mode to see if I was getting any errors. There were none, which leads me to believe it's something in iptables and the VMs are never accessing the service. Also if I flush iptables and restart the openstack services, iptables is repopulated but it is very sparse. Seems like there should be a lot more entries in the tables.

I just need some hints on where to look to find out what's going on.

Thanks in advance.
Rick

Richard Minton
LMICC Systems Administrator