[rhos-list] Does openstack 2.1 folsum with quantum support internal and external networks on same NIC?

Robert Kukura rkukura at redhat.com
Thu May 16 18:01:26 UTC 2013

On 05/16/2013 01:17 PM, Andrus, Gregory wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have a blade environment where each blade has only 2 – 10gb nics
>
> The plan was to use them as follows
>

> eth0.500 (rhel server administration, rhel server data center access,
> rhel server internet access) (172.17.0.0/24)
>
> eth0.502 (rhel server access to data center nfs storage systems)
> (10.0.0.0/24)
>
> eth0.159 (openstack management network) (10.255.254.0/24)
>

> eth1 (vm access to datacenter and internet, vm access host to host)
>

> We are using metadata to configure vms therefore we were told we must
> use quantum L3 agent.
>

> Is there a way to configure quantum and ovs to use eth1 for both br-int
> as well as br-ex traffic.

Yes, its easy to use the same network interface for both your data and
external networks. The key is to to use a provider network for your
external network rather than using br-ex.

Disable use of br-ex by setting the following in
/etc/quantum/l3_agent.ini and restarting the l3-agent:

external_network_bridge =

Which you can do with:

openstack-config  --set /etc/quantum/l3_agent.ini DEFAULT
external_network_bridge ""

Then, decide on a name for the physical network that will be accessed
via eth1. We'll call it "physnet1" here.

When you create your external network, pass provider attributes
describing the external network (here we are using VLAN 123 for the
external network):

quantum net-create MyExternalNet --router:external True
--provider:network_type vlan --provider:physical_network physnet1
--provider:segmentation_id 123

You can also specify a flat (i.e. untagged) network, with "...
provider:network_type flat --provider:physical_network physnet1". In
fact, I'd don't recommend using br-ex for your external network, even if
its the only network on the network interface.

Then create the external subnet with something like:

quantum subnet-create --gateway 10.1.1.254 --allocation-pool
start=10.1.1.100,end=10.1.1.110 --disable-dhcp MyExternalNet 10.1.1.0/24

and create and configure your router.

> All the examples I have come across are like the following where the
> ports added to the bridges refer directly to an Ethernet interface, not
> an Ethernet vlan interface on the nic such as eth1.100 or eth1.200 etc:
>

> ovs-vsctl add-br br-int
>
> ovs-vsctl add-port br-int eth0

You should definitely never add any physical interface directly to
br-int. Please let me know where you are seeing examples of this.

What you need to do is:

ovs-vsctl add-br br-eth1
ovs-vsctl add-port br-eth1 eth1

Finally, make make sure physnet1 is listed in network_vlan_ranges in
/etc/quantum/plugins/openvswitch/ovs_quantum_plugin.ini on the
controller and is mapped to the appropriate network interface via
bridge_mappings on each compute and networking node. Your
ovs_quantum_plugin.ini on a combined controller/networking node might
look something like:

tenant_network_type = vlan
network_vlan_ranges = physnet1:1000:1999
bridge_mappings = physnet1:br-eth1

Don't forget to restart daemons after making changes to their
configurations.

> ovs-vsctl add-br br-ex
>
> ovs-vsctl add-port br-ex eth1

If using a provider network as your external network, don't create br-ex
or add eth1 to any bridge other than br-eth1.

Hope this helps,

-Bob