[rhos-list] Installing Havana RDO interaction with NetworkManager

Haller, John H (John) john.haller at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Nov 4 22:23:42 UTC 2013

This was on a fresh CentOS install from a Live DVD, with a full yum update as of last Friday.

Unfortunately, I had eth0 configured via NetworkManager, and the init-script
"network" also was not running by default. The packstack action for disabling NetworkManager
is inadequate, as it really needs to be sure the network init script is set to
run, and after NetworkManger deconfigures the interface, the interface needs to
be brought back up with ifup, none of which works over a ssh connection.

If packstack is going to disable the NetworkManager settings, it needs to kill the
NetworkManager process first, so that it doesn't de-configure the network port. It
should also ensure that the network init script is set to automatically run on boot,
so that the interface will automatically be enabled. Otherwise, it should just abort
if it detects NetworkManger is in charge of the network, and leave this problem to
documentation.

This is a new problem with Havana, Grizzly didn't have this issue, although there
were other network issues I never investigated, such as not recovering after the
network cable was disconnected.

Regards,
John Haller