[rhos-list] cloud-init configuration for ssh access

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Fri Nov 8 19:36:21 UTC 2013

On 11/08/2013 12:16 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 12:08:15PM -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
>> The tl;dr version is the code is working as intended.  Recommend more docs.
> I think the actual situation was something different.
>
> In the filesystem image Dave sent to me, something had created a
> *directory* called /var/lib/cloud/instance.  Normally this is a
> symlink into instances/<instance-id>, and having this a directory was
> preventing cloud-init from creating the symlink and was making it fall
> over.
>
> Removing this directory allowed cloud-init to proceed as intended.  I
> was not able to reproduce this failure mode in my own testing, so I'm
> not sure how that directory go there.
I see.  If cloud-init spits out some kind of odd error like "couldn't
create symlink, giving up", then that sounds like a bug that needs
root-cause analysis.  IIRC the lock files are stored in that instance
directory, but they may actually have been in the symlinked instance-id
dirs.

In recommend opening a bug so we can track logs/progress/image contents
as opposed to using a mailing list to triage bugs.  If we can figure out
how the image was created, it is something that can be reproduced.

But without a reproducer, the problem may go unsolved.

Regards
-steve