[rhos-list] cloud-init configuration for ssh access

David Raddatz draddatz at sgi.com
Fri Nov 8 21:49:59 UTC 2013

Hi, Lars,

Please see below for my responses...

Thanks,
Dave

Interesting - I just re-created the issue again and the instance directory is not a symlink to anything but a directory containing a boot-finished file.
The /var/lib/cloud directory contains the following directories:
data
handlers
instance
instances
scripts
seed
sem

All I do is install RHEL6.4 on a new VM, install cloud-init, reboot.  When the VM is booting after the cloud-init install there are lots of http errors. None of this is using anything from OpenStack really - doing this from the VM's console in virt-manager.

If I ssh to the VM before I reboot the VM, it works.
If I try to ssh to the VM after the reboot, I get the "Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic)" error (which then prevents ssh from working with the rhos keypair in openstack).

Obviously, there must be something in my environment that is causing this (or a difference between our environments).

> Can you verify which version of cloud-init was installed when you ran into this
> problem?

I have this version of cloud-init: cloud-init-0.7.1-2.el6.noarch.

> I think some of these issues you encountered may be solvable with better
> documentation (maybe some sort of "how to cloud-init-ify an image").

Yeah - the main thing that got me working was not rebooting my VM image after installing cloud-init.  Then I could sysprep it, upload to glance and the ssh with keypair worked on my instances.

Dave