[rhos-list] How to use ssh for password-less login on an instance

David Raddatz draddatz at sgi.com
Fri Oct 18 15:58:28 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm using the OpenStack Getting Started guide and other OpenStack docs to try to set up an environment where I can log in to an instance I've created without using a password.  The doc says to create a keypair and I should be able to log in to the instance but I'm always prompted for a password.  This happens if I try to log in as root or if I try to log in to a tester user that I created.  As far as I can tell, the keypair is not doing anything for me since I can log with or without using the keypair if I specify the password.

Here's what I do: I create a VM image of my own, run virt-sysprep on it, upload into glance, then launch an instance using the keypair that I created.  Then I try to ssh into the instance (with or with the -i keypair option) and I can log in to root when I provide the password.

I thought the keypair was supposed to allow password-less login to instances but I can't get it to work.

Any pointers are appreciated please,
Dave