[rhos-list] Parallel Cinder access?

Lutz Christoph lchristoph at arago.de
Tue Sep 3 16:03:05 UTC 2013

Hi!

I can't google up any good answer for the question if it is possible to have multiple Cinder  Volume instances access the same underlying storage (especially interesting is plain old LVM).

The idea is to run Cinder Volume on the compute nodes and eliminate one trip over the network for iSCSI storage. So the Cinder Volume instances need to see the same volumes, and some central Cinder service (scheduler? API?) has to know that each compute node has its own local Cinder Volume service. The next step would of course be to eliminate the iSCSI export/import of the volume as it can be accessed through /dev/mapper.

Since I haven't found any reference to this kind of architecture, I presume that it isn't viable (yet?). But then I would very much appreciate a "No. Won't work." from this list to convince some people around here.

Incidentally, we will be evaluating Datacore to provide the block storage Cinder will carve into volumes. I would be very interested in hearing from anybody with Datacore experience.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Gr??en
Lutz Christoph

--

Lutz Christoph

arago Institut f?r komplexes Datenmanagement AG

Eschersheimer Landstra?e 526 - 532
60433 Frankfurt am Main

eMail: lchristoph at arago.de - www: http://www.arago.de
Tel: 0172/6301004
Mobil: 0172/6301004

[http://www.arago.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/EmailSignatur1.png] <http://www.cloudops.de/>

--
Bankverbindung: Frankfurter Sparkasse, BLZ: 500 502 01, Kto.-Nr.: 79343
Vorstand: Hans-Christian Boos, Martin Friedrich