[rhos-list] rhos kernel update ?

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Tue Jan 14 15:20:21 UTC 2014

On 01/14/2014 10:01 AM, Xin Zhao wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The new kernel version from SL6.4 security updates is
> kernel-2.6.32-431.1.2.el6.x86_64, higher than what is available by way
> of the openstack repo (kernel-2.6.32-358.123.2.openstack.el6).
> Is there a plan to upgrade the openstack specific kernel to 431 ?

New kernels for OpenStack are shipped in RHEL 6.5.  In RHEL 6.5 you
should have access to 2.6.32-431.1.2.el6

The .openstack kernels shipped in the RHOS channel directly were only
supplied because we could not get certain patches into the RHEL 6.4
async stream (without creating risk for our non OpenStack customers)

All of the core functionality we put into the .openstack kernels (GRE,
openvswitch enhancements, network namespaces) were merged into the
mainline RHEL 6.5 kernel.

So the correct path is to update from the last .openstack kernel in RHOS
4.0 to the RHEL 6.5 kernel.

Perry