Re: gcc?

On Thu, 02 Aug 2001, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering, why does the Roswell beta release include both
> gcc-2.96-95 and gcc3-3.0-5?
>
> Which one will be the "default" c compiler?
> Red Hats gcc-2.96 or the official gcc-3.0?

The default compiler is gcc 2.96.  The default can't be gcc 3.0 as it is
binary incompatible, but you can install the gcc3 rpm to use gcc3 if you
wish.  This is added much like the default python is 1.5.2, but there is
also a python2 package that can provide python 2 support, but isn't the
default because it is not binary compatible.

Jag